Monday 3 September 2007

Dr Lloyd-Jones on Seeking God for the Baptism of the Spirit

"Seek a knowledge of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. Seek Him! Say that you want to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings! Desire knowledge of God and of Christ in this intimate manner and the knowledge of His love "shed abroad in your hearts". That is what we are to seek! Seek to be holy, seek God's glory! Do not merely desire a comfortable experience but say to yourself "apart from this I can never be a true witness. I cannot witness truly for Him anymore than these disciples could before the Day of Pentecost ... say to yourself "Is it conceivable that I can be a witness without that power and is not it's absence perhaps the reason why I am such a poor witness?". Seek His glory - not your own!".

Dr Martyn Ll0yd-Jones - "Exposition of Chapter 8:5-17 - The Sons of God" - Romans - Banner of Truth, Edinburgh (1995) - (p392).

2 comments:

Steve Burlew said...

Thanks, Dan. This is great. I hope you have our entire set on Romans by Lloyd-Jones. Do you?
Steve B.
www.trophiesofhisgrace.blogspot.com

Dan Bowen said...

Thanks for the comment Steve - I do indeed have the entire set on Romans and they are one of my most prized possession in my library!! Along with the set on Ephesians!