Saturday 16 January 2010

Arthur Wallis on the Church as Bride

"This is the most intimate and sacred and precious figure of the Church’s relationship to Christ ... Christ loved the church, and gave Himself up for it; that He might sanctify it, having cleansed it by the washing of water with the word, that He might present it to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.” (Eph.5:25-27)

We see how this great truth is emphasised in the Song of Solomon, as the Bridegroom addresses the Bride, “Thou art all fair, my love; and there is no spot in thee.” (4:7.) and again, “My sister, my love, my dove, my undefiled.” That is the sort of bride He expects. The church as a bride must be pure".

Arthur Wallis - "The Purity of the Church" - "The Church of Jesus Christ - It's Purity, Power, Pattern And Programme in the context of Today" - Conference at Exmouth, UK - May 1958

No comments: